Saturday, September 10, 2011

Visitors Descend

While I was away in Italy, brother-in-law Brad was the first of the large group of visitors to arrive.  Having recovered a little energy after the trip, I headed to Buyukada on Sunday and spent the night with Ron and Fusun, where Brad had been staying.  Ron was flying out the next morning, so we all left early Monday, Ron to the airport, me back to campus, and Brad and Fusun to explore the back streets of Istanbul.

Monday night was graduation, held on Konak Terrace with its panoramic view of the Bosphorus. Normally  at 5 in the evening, sitting out there could be sweltering, but it had been a cool June and we were quite chilled by the end.  Except for the setting, the smaller number of students (173) and that there were speeches in Turkish as well as English, it was very much like an Ithaca High graduation.  There was a reception for all with soft drinks and snacks.  And just like after an IHS graduation, some of the faculty got together after the offcial stuff was over.  But instead of the Ale House, we went to Karla's apartment.  The most comical (but nearly tragic)  moment was when Karla's beloved cat Loki got too near the candles on the coffee table and caught his tail on fire.  Luckily, it was just a singe.

The next day I made my first of three meet and greet trips to the airport.:   Charlotte and Monica.  I was nervous because I was a bit after their arrival time, but then I waited and waited.  I realized after many such trips that you just can't predict how long it's going to take.  I wish I had a picture of them coming through the doors, but I had long since put away my camera by the time they emerged.

We grabbed a cab  and came back to campus.  Fusun and Brad came a bit later and we sat on my terrace and had snacks and drinks.  I had invited friends to join us but many had already left or were leaving the next day.  But my visitors got to meet my next door neighbor Cecile and my great friend Allison.

lunch time on the island


Caitlin, lolling by the pool.  Is she spoiled?

Beloved b-in-law and sis


two people I love drinking champagne in a place I love
And then it was off to Buyukada for relaxation and fun in the sun. Above are some photos from the two weeks of magic on the island.  More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment