Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall in Istanbul

Sibel Kelly Kuvvet, photography prodigy

Ladies Friday afternoon beyaz serap at Bizemtepe


The pool at Bizemtepe
I've been back a month now and completed 3 weeks of classes.  The weather has been super.  Only 2 days of rain in 30 and most days have been in the upper 70's with low humidity.  Not too hot in the classroom and warm enough for me to take advantage of my discounted membership at Bizemtepe, the alumni. club.  I swim laps, read and do crossword puzzles.  Today, after yoga in the morning, housecleaning, the rug sale, I headed for a swim.  As often, I had the pool to myself, for a half hour in the late afternoon.  I dried off while finishing a novel, then spent 20 minutes in the jacuzzzi. 


We've been doing yoga outside.  This (above) is the view.  This morning from 9 to 11 it was about as perfect as could be.  Just the right temp and gentle breezes.  This place is a minute walk from my apartment in Barton.


This is my building.  I'm on the second of four floors

My time has been occupied also for the last 3 weeks with the guy below.  Fusun rescued him last June on Buyukada.  I picked him up, much grown, at Kabatas from Mustafa three weeks ago.  He is cute but is crazy for getting up on the table, counters, and stove.  Today Jenny lent me her spray bottle and I'm trying that training method.

The kitten in July

The kitten now, in a rare moment of docility

1 comment:

  1. Hi Moira -- I stumbled across your blog quite by accident but have been reading through it all morning. It's a huge delight! I grew up in Istanbul, on the Robert College campus and lived in Barton Hall -- perhaps in your apartment! My late father, Alan Ovenden, ran the Lise Prep program for years. I spotted 2 familiar names in your posts: Phil Esposito, who was a colleague of my dad's, and Maria Orhon, who was one of my teachers at RCCS (now IICS).

    I hope you've been enjoying your Istanbul experience. It sounds like you have been getting out and about and cramming in as much as possible. It sounds like much has changed since we were there (1965 - 1978) but much remains the same -- trying to get a taxi to the upper gate of the campus -- hah!!

    Thanks for bringing back some great memories and please give my regards to the view from the plateau! Is there still a small marble patio out at the back of Barton Hall? My dad and Grady Hobson built that back in the 70's. That was the designated evening cocktail spot for all the BH adults, watching the boats go up and down the Bosphorus, while all of us kids climbed around in the giant Cedar Of Lebanon (which I really hope is still standing!!!).

    Best to you!
    Sarah Ovenden

    ReplyDelete